Monday, January 4, 2010

Jan. 4 devotion

In Sunday's Bible class we started to discuss the letter to the Laodicean church from the Book of Revelation. In that letter, Jesus identifies himself as the Amen. That's sort of an odd identification. In class we talked about what the word 'amen' means. In today's offering from the Treasury of Daily Prayer there is this gem from Dr. Luther:

"When I feel that I have become cool and joyless in prayer because of other tasks or thoughts (for the flesh and the devil always impede and obstruct prayer), I take my little psalter, hurry to my room, or, if it be the day and hour for it, to the church where a congregation is assembled and, as time permits, I say quietly to myself and word-for-word the Ten Commandments, the Creed, and, if I have time, some words of Christ or of Paul, or some psalms, just as a child might do.

It is a good thing to let prayer be the first business of the morning and the last at night. Guard yourself carefully against those false, deluding ideas which tell you, "Wait a little while. I will pray in an hour; first I must attend to this or that." Such thoughts get you away from prayer into other affairs which so hold your attention and involve you that nothing comes of prayer for that day...

Finally, mark this, that you must always speak the Amen firmly. Never doubt that God in his mercy will surely hear you and say "yes" to your prayers. Never think that you are kneeling or standing alone, rather think that the whole of Christendom, all devout Christians, are standing there beside you and you are standing among them in a common, united petition which God cannot disdain. Do not leave your prayer without having said or thought, "Very well, God has heard my prayer; this I know as a certainty and a truth." This is what Amen means."

Friends, Voicing an Amen to our prayers does indeed unite us as fellow believers and members of Christ's body, the Church. You may not know everyone on our prayer list and may not know the various situations of the people on our list. No matter. They are important to someone and in need of prayer and I can pray for them.

And with Jesus as the Amen...well, Jesus is the Yes to all the promises of God. God promises to be with us, to never leave us or forsake us. Jesus is the Amen to that promise. God promises provision and protection. Jesus is the Amen to that promise. God promises love, discipline, mercy, pity, grace. Jesus is the Amen to that promise.

What a great word.

No comments: